Friday, 18 May 2007

Week 11- Using Microsoft Excel

Exercise 1: Entering and Presenting Data
This exercise was too simple in my opinion. I was able to follow the instructions effectively and completed the task with no complications.

Exercise 2: Formulas
I encountered a big problem with typing in the code for the "Gain/Loss" column. I followed the instructions to a T, but the Excel program kept claiming that the equation was incorrect. I tried a few ways of altering the equation so it could work, but it was to my avail that it continued to fail me.
Just when I thought all had failed me, a little helper called 'Function' came to my rescue. It is located in the 'Insert', and it gave me a easy option on how to enter the information I needed. I just clicked on the 'IF' option, then clicked 'OK'. Then it leads me to a screen where I can type in the wanted equations (in this case, for the Logical Test, I typed in 'F2>0', and so on). And then I clicked 'OK', and it was written all for me with no problems, with the G2 box clearly saying 'Gain'. YAY!!! Problem solved!!

Exercise 3: Graphs
This was a lot easier to understand and execute than the previous exercise, and there was little problem, due to me using the 'Charts' option before on previous occasions.

Advanced Exercise 1: Macros
This was a difficult task to complete due to the complicated instructions. I was unable to complete the task, but I was able to complete it as far as Step 17. The whole idea of creating the 'Macros' by highlighting the rows and 'Hiding' them was simple, but when it came to creating the three new Taskbar buttons, it became confusing.